One of the reasons why chefs in the kitchen are excellent in what they do stems from the school they come from. Yes, the culinary schools play a key role in building not only the technical skills of a chef but his character as well. You have to find the best culinary school for you – one that is truly a cut above the rest.
So what are some of the best culinary schools in America?
The Best Culinary Schools in America
Here are some of the best culinary schools in America.
- Institute of Culinary Education (ICE) in New York City. The programs of this school are geared for twenty-year olds and above. They offer an intensive culinary experience. Requirement includes at least two years in college, or two years of work to enroll. Awards: International Association of Culinary Professionals’ vocational and a vocational culinary school of the Year awards (2002 and 2003); IACP Award of Excellence for Best Vocational Cooking School (2008).
- Texas Culinary Academy. Located in Austin, Texas, this 73,000 square feet facility offers everything from pastry skills to basic cooking, to cost control and purchasing – the basic requirements for starting in the industry. Recently a brand new facility just opened to include a restaurant, classrooms, kitchens and laboratory, a retail store, and a demonstration area which was modeled after Le Cordon Bleu in London and Paris.
- The California Culinary Academy in San Francisco. Among the courses offered here are training in culinary arts, restaurant and hospitality management, baking and pastry arts, with the inclusion of cooking classes and lecture courses. Other studies include business management, hotel operations, wine appreciation, and contemporary and classical culinary techniques. In 2004, this school obtained a 100,000-square feet south campus in Rhode Island.
- The International Culinary School in Washington. Since this is one of the top culinary schools in America, the program it offers is vast: wine, spirits and beverage management, baking and pastry, culinary arts management, and food and beverage management. The students can pursue a degree or a certificate on weekdays or weekends, online and in the campus.
- Kendall College School of Culinary Arts in Illinois. This is just one of the few schools that offer a four-year Bachelor of Arts in Culinary Arts degree. Included in this course is an in-depth look at international cuisines (Mediterranean, Asia, Latin and South America), and business skills from finance to marketing which can help you build a strong food management style in the industry.
Finding the Right School for You
Given all of these schools, how do you then find the right culinary school just for you? Here are the things that you should consider.
- Hands-On Training. Does your school offer lots of hands-on-training so you can gain more experience? Some of the top schools also offer internship programs, which help instill the theories you can apply in the real world.
- Student-teacher ratio. It’s advisable to attend a class where there is a smaller number of students to one teacher. In this way, you get the undivided attention that you deserve.
- Specialization Options. Look for the possible specialization options available in a school. These include desserts, health and nutrition, and other specific cuisines.
- Graduates. Any famous personality who may have graduated from your preferred school? Research and find out.
Looking for the best culinary schools in America may be tedious work but it’s all worth it in the end.