Although every scholarship has a slightly different set of criteria and requirements, there are some general guidelines you can follow to increase your chances of winning a scholarship. Below are some useful tips to help you get started.
Tips for Winning A Scholarship
- Start researching your options as early as possible. The sooner you begin, the sooner you can master the layout of the land. You’ll develop a much better understanding of what’s required, who can assist you, and where the best opportunities are.
- Make sure you match whatever criteria or recommendations the scholarships ask for. Nothing can sap your energy more than discovering that all of your hard work was for naught.
- Solicit recommendations from advisers, teachers, and mentors as early as possible. Recommendation sources are often inundated with requests, and by putting your bid in early, you have a much greater chance of getting the writers that you want.
- Solicit a second opinion for all of your writing, forms, and paperwork. This doesn’t necessarily mean that they should provide creative input, but it does mean they should check for any typos or errors.
- Apply to as many different college scholarships as possible. Even if you have a one in a million chance, by applying to two different scholarships, you literally double your odds.
- Turn in all of your materials as early as possible. Don’t wait for the deadline.
There are no guarantees in the college scholarship game, but by following the above steps, you can dramatically increase your chances of success.